Exhibitions: February 2020
Although galleries and museums are closed for the time being, the WAHG exhibitions lists are still available here on the website so that you can plan your visits for later on in the year. Many of the galleries and museums are offering virtual tours and activities on their websites which are well worth exploring.
New for 2020 ……… Chawton House Man Up (2 March to 30 December 2020) www.chawtonhouse.org
The current WAHG programme for January to June 2020 is focussed on Groups of Artists and this Exhibitions list includes a number of exhibitions relevant to this topic in our local area and further afield. See the list for more information about:
- Winchester Embroiderers Guild have an exhibition at Winchester Discovery Centre
- The 62 Group, highly regarded textile artists, will be exhibiting at the St Barbe Gallery in Lymington
- Artists United exhibition at Andover Museum
- A group of Artists from the Solent area have an exhibition at Eastleigh Museum
- Further afield – Families of Artists: Scott & Earp at Brighton Museum, Pre-Raphaelites at Bristol Museum and Art Gallery, and Wilhelmina Barns-Graham and the Artists of St Ives at the Royal West of England Academy,
Group exhibitions are rarer in major London Museums and Galleries but look out for British Surrealists at Dulwich Picture Gallery and Gauguin and the Impressionists at the Royal Academy.
Some museums and galleries publish an annual programme so, for them, the list goes up to Dec 2020 and beyond. For a variety of reasons most venues do not do this, so look out for a fully revised Exhibitions list in late June 2020.
The range of exhibitions listed cover the art of illustration, architecture, ceramics, painting, sculpture, photography and print culture, postmodern art forms like performance art and film. And we have a new entry – the Ben Uri Museum and Gallery in St John’s Wood.
If there is a form of art practice you think is missing, or a public art gallery or museum I have omitted, please let me know.
Click on the following links to see what’s on offer:
Enjoy your gallery going in 2020!
Beth Taylor, WAHG volunteer.
27 February 2020.