WAHG Policy on Advertising
Winchester Art History Group (WAHG) endeavours to provide its members with services relating to the study and enjoyment of art history. The events which are planned and organised by the Group are advertised and promoted to our members only.
In addition to events organised by WAHG there are a great number of other activities available to the general public which includes our membership. The potential to promote or advertise non-WAHG activity is very large and covers publications, educational courses and events, holidays with an art related theme, cinema presentations, etc.
At the WAHG Management Committee meeting of 14 January 2019 it was agreed that we would limit information about non-WAHG activities that we pass on to our members to:
- Lists of exhibitions in the south of England.
- Information of educational courses and events in the local area.
- Information on art-specific presentations at local cinemas.
This is done in a manner compliant with UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR). Please see WAHG Privacy Notice for details.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, the activities listed above have either ceased or been severely restricted and at the same time there has been a proliferation of online courses, lectures and talks offered by art historians, educators and institutions. Because of this, and to avoid any conflict of interest with WAHG activities, it was agreed at the WAHG Committee meeting of 16th November 2020 that:
- Online offerings (courses, talks and lectures) which incur charges will not be advertised or promoted by the WAHG Committee to its members.
- Information about free virtual tours of art exhibitions which are closed due to COVID-19 will be posted on the WAHG website.
The policy is subject to review in the light of changed circumstances.
Chair, Winchester Art History Group
Revised by June Brooks
Publications Secretary, Winchester Art History Group